Single Parenting – Mother
When a pregnancy occurs the last thing that we expect is that there may come a point in time in which we are raising the child/children in a single parent home. Whether you become a single mother due to divorce, death, etc. finding a counselor to help you through this transition can be of the utmost importance to you and your children. There are many women in our society that are raising children alone. This is no easy task and the more help a single parent can get the easier life can be.
As with any situation there are many decisions to make when being a single parent. The complication with single parenting is that you do not have help and support from a significant other with these decisions. Everything is up to you to do and decide. Some challenges you may face could be:
- Getting through the grief process of a lost relationship/or the death of a spouse
- Helping your child/children through their own grief process whether the other parent has died or is simply no longer involved in the child’s life
- Overcoming any abusive situation you and your children may have been in
- Custody battles
- Divorce proceedings
- Trying to co-parent with your ex
- Meeting someone new and decisions about when to introduce them to your child/children
- Sifting through feelings that come with your ex becoming involved in a new relationship
- Financial struggles
Seeking therapy can give you an outlet in regard to dealing with any of these issues as well as any others that may come up in a single mother’s life. A therapist can be a non-biased third party perspective that can help you sort through feelings and weigh out pros and cons of decisions that you need to make.